Marlins Win 3-0 on Senior Day
VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. -- The Virginia Wesleyan College men's soccer team defeated Shenandoah University 3-0 on Saturday in the Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) finale for both teams.
Ricky Perrault kicked off the scoring for Virginia Wesleyan with a header from Codi Dalton just 41 seconds into the match. Perrault earned his second goal of the match at the 60:56 mark courtesy of a header by Ben Yount that hit off the post, coming right to his foot.
Perrault has now played Shenandoah twice in his career, posting five goals against the Hornets after registering a hat trick last year.
The Marlins offense translated to the defensive side of the field by only allowing two shots on goal, which came late in the second half.
Devin Wallace connected with Rob Holschuh at the 75:37 mark for the Marlins' third score of the match.
Shenandoah's (0-17/0-9) Cory Thompson earned nine saves on the day while Jason Hoernke collected two saves in goal for the Marlins.
Virginia Wesleyan (8-5-4/4-2-3) needed a loss by Randolph-Macon College in order to host in the ODAC quarterfinals. Since the Yellow Jackets posted a draw with Randolph College, the Marlins will be traveling in the first round of competition.
ODAC Tournament Quarterfinal Seedings
1. Lynchburg (will host first round winner of Randolph and Guilford)
2. Washington and Lee (vs. Bridgewater)
3. Roanoke (vs. Eastern Mennonite)
4. Randolph-Macon (vs. Virginia Wesleyan)
5. Virginia Wesleyan (at Randolph-Macon)
6. Eastern Mennonite (at Roanoke)
7. Bridgewater (at Washington and Lee)
8. Randolph (vs. Guilford - first round)
9. Guilford (at Randolph - first round)