Virginia Beach, VA - Tennis action concluded at the Everett Tennis Center on Sunday as Virginia Wesleyan University competed against Bridgewater College in flight play in the Marlin Invite. Moving around their lineups to avoid rematches from previous days in addition to sitting out injured players, the Marlins dropped 2 of 3 doubles matches in the opening round on Sunday. Claiming a doubles win for VWU was Christine Zalameda and Lyric Hinton. The #2 team from last season defeated Keister and Diagneault 8-3 at the 2nd flight. At the #1 doubles flight freshman Alexa Brewster and senior Aburee Johnson fell to Bridgewater's Kiser and Shifflett 8-5.
In the lone singles flight of the day the Marlins claimed victories at #2 and #5 while being forced to retire to injury at #4 up a set and knotted 5-5 in the 2nd. Zalameda defeated Keister 6-2, 6-1 at #2 while Stegemann took out Austin 6-2, 6-0 at #5 singles.
The Marlins took 2 out of 3 doubles matches from the Eagles in the closing round for the event. Brewster and Zalameda captured the #1 flight match up against Kiser and Hoover, 8-2. O'Brien and Stegemann picked up a win at #3 by defeating Austin and Pitsenbarger 8-2 while Johnson and Hinton dropped an 8-5 decision at #2.
The Marlins return to action next weekend when they travel to the University of Mary Washington to take part in the ITA South Atlantic Regional Championships. Action begins on Saturday morning and times are TBA.
VWU vs BC (Doubles Flights)
- Kiser/Shifflett (BC) def Johnson/Brewster (VWU) 8-5
- Zalameda/Hinton (VWU) def Keister/Diagneault (BC) 8-3
- Crawford/Will (BC) def O'Brien/Stegemann (VWU) 8-3
VWU vs. BC (Singles Flights)
- Whitney Kiser (BC) def Alexa Brewster (VWU) 6-3, 7-6 (4)
- Christine Zalameda (VWU) def Keister (BC) 6-2, 6-1
- Emily Daigneault (BC) def Taitum O'Brien (VWU) 6-4, 6-4
- Marlena Hoover (BC) def Lyric Hinton (VWU) 2-6, 5-5, ret.
- Amanda Stegemann (VWU) def Katie Austin (BC) 6-2, 6-0
VWU vs. BC (Doubles Flights)
- Zalameda/Brewster (VWU) def Kiser/Hoover 8-2
- Shifflett/Will (BC) def Johnson/Hinton (VWU) 8-5
- O'Brien/Stegemann (VWU) def Austin Pitsenbarger 82